* 1 medium or 4 small, round squash
* ¼ c water or broth
* ¼ c chopped celery
* ½ c chopped spinach or green (kale, collard, etc)
* ¼ c chopped sweet variety onion
* 1-2 minced cloves of garlic
* ¼ c small cubed eggplant
* Cumin, curry and pepper to taste
* 1 tbls. oil
* ½ lb. Ground meat (turkey, chicken lamb, beef or vegetarian alternative)
just the top portion of the squash with a paring knife
(sort of like a hat) and scoop out the mucky stuff and the seeds.
Put them upside down in a shallow
baking pan filled with the ¼ c of liquid.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 30-45 minutes (until squash
is tender all the way through). While the squash
is baking, sauté the vegetables in a little
olive oil and the spices. Remove them from the pan and place them in a large bowl.
Brown the meat in the vegetable
pan, then add it to the bowl with the
vegetable. Mix these together well.
When the squash is done,
stuff it with the veggie/meat mixture and
bake for about 5-10 more minutes.
This can be topped with some grated hard cheese
and served with
some steamed veggies and some nice, hearty, warmed bread.